Recently, more and more patients have been asking: can Metrogil dental gel help acne, or can it be used only for inflammation of the gums? This article is written by a professional dermatologist, and we will answer this question in detail below.
Metrogil is a means for external use in the form of a gel with antimicrobial (antibacterial) action. The drug is manufactured by the Indian company "Unic Pharmaceutical Laboratories". There is a whole series of Metrogil preparations - where, in addition to 1% gel for external use, 2 more preparations are included.
The second drug is the most famous drug of the company, which is called Metrogildent. It is intended for the treatment of inflammation of the oral mucosa and gums. Well, the third drug is Metrogil in the form of a vaginal gel, which is prescribed to treat bacterial infections in women.
Metrogil gel: composition
|The content of active substances in 1 g of gel -|
→ Metronidazole 10 mg,
methyl parahydroxybenzoate, propyl parahydroxybenzoate, carbomer 940, disodium edetate, sodium hydroxide, propylene glycol, purified water.
Composition analysis -
antibiotic metronidazole is most effective against some anaerobic microorganisms, as well as protozoa. In addition, it is often prescribed together with the antibiotic Amoxicillin for gastric ulcer and duodenal ulcer, because it is effective against the bacterium Helicobacter pylori (which plays a large role in the development of these diseases). But is it possible to use metronidazole in pills or in the form of gels for external use - also for the treatment of acne? The answer to this question is very simple and straightforward.
Metrogil acne gel: reviews
Not all antibiotics and antiseptics can be effective in treating acne. This is due to the fact that each group of antibiotics with different effectiveness affects different subspecies of microorganisms.
The development of acne is associated primarily with two types of bacteria -
- Propionibacterium acnes (P.acnes),
- Staphylococcus epidermidis.
The antibiotic Metronidazole for acne, which is part of Metrogyl-gel, does not help for two reasons: firstly, metronidazole is initially ineffective with the indicated types of bacteria, and secondly, the concentration of antibiotic in the composition of the gel is rather low (thanks to this, the antibacterial drug is sold without a prescription). Conclusions - Metrogil acne gel is a very ineffective remedy.
What antibiotics are effective for acne -
Antibiotics of the following groups are most commonly used for the treatment of acne: lincosamides and macrolides. Examples include antibiotics Clindamycin and Erythromycin. Most often, they are produced in the form of gels for local use (less often in the form of liquids), which are applied directly to the affected skin.
1. Monocomponent antibacterial gels -
Mono-component preparations contain only one active ingredient (antibiotic). Such gels are prescribed if you have only ordinary acne on your skin and there is no acne or cystic acne.
Examples of monocomponent drugs -
- Clindamycin-based gels - Dalacin, Klindatop, Clindovit ...
- on the basis of erythromycin - the drug "Zenerit" (this drug is produced in the form of a liquid applied to the skin with the help of an applicator).
2. Combined antibacterial gels -
Combined drugs will contain in addition to the antibiotic another active ingredient, which expands their effectiveness and application possibilities. Usually, in the composition of such gels, an antibiotic is combined with benzoyl peroxide or retinoids.
The combination of antibiotic with benzoyl peroxide dramatically increases the effectiveness of the gel and the speed of onset of the effect. This combination is also prescribed for acne, but in the absence of acne and cysts on the skin. The combination of an antibiotic and a preparation of a group of retinoids will be especially effective if you have acne and acne on the skin of your face, as well as in the cystic form of acne.
- Duac-gel (clindamycin antibiotic + benzoyl peroxide),
- Deriva-S, Klenzit-S (antibiotic clindamycin + retinoid Adapalen),
- Isotrexin gel (antibiotic erythromycin + retinoid Isotretinoin).
Important information on acne and acne treatment -
- Despite the high effectiveness of antibacterial gels, they are not the No. 1 drug for acne treatment. The gold standard for acne treatment will be benzoyl peroxide based lotions, creams and gels. All the necessary information about treatment regimens and drugs, read the article:
→ "Recommendations for treating acne dermatologist"
- Remember that acne and acne are completely different things that are treated differently. Acne may appear either as white bumps on the skin surface, or as black dots in the pores of the skin (Fig.X). Acne is not associated with inflammation, and antibacterial gels with them will be completely useless.
When acne is primarily prescribed drugs of the retinoid group. Read more about the treatment of acne, read the article:
→ "Recommendations of a dermatologist for acne treatment"
- Treatment with antibacterial gels is quite long (usually not less than 3 months), despite the fact that a good effect can be obtained within 3-4 weeks from the start of use. It is important to consolidate the effect of therapy.
- If after 2-3 weeks from the beginning of the application you do not see any improvements, then this indicates the resistance of bacteria to this antibiotic. This means that other drugs must be selected for treatment.
- Keep in mind that skin diseases are best treated by a dermatologist. In this case, you will be able to avoid the errors of self-treatment, among which -
→ blemishes and scars on acne,
→ the emergence of the form of acne, resistant to antibiotics and other drugs.
We hope that our article on the topic: Metrogil from acne reviews - proved to be useful to you!
Author: editors of the portal.